Welcome and Induction (Git)
The Induction module introduces the expectations from CodeYourFuture Trainees, the technical and soft skills to be developed and the support available during the course.
Make an effort to mark the achievements up to this point. You completed ITD and Fundamentals. Some of you never wrote a line of code before that!
- Learn what CYF expects from trainees and what support is available
- Get familiar with the technical and employability skills to be developed
The presentation below aims to identify your goal(s) for being on the CYF software development course; to highlight the expectations CodeYourFuture has for it's trainees; to introduce the concept of progressing from the Intro to Digital and Fundamentals courses to the software development course.
Goals and Expectations slides
In this section we'll explore how a professional developer behaves and thus how you should behave.
In small groups. Imagine all the day-to-day activities and behaviours of a professional software developer. Use an online board (Miro, Google Jamboard, etc.). Think about whether you do all those things already. Discuss how to change things so you begin to do more and more of those things. Highlight that practice is the way to develop.
It's time to do an SDOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis.
Think about the key areas that you want to improve on by some introspective work and writing your own personal SDOT analysis:
- Strengths: What are you great at? What makes you personally stand out from other people? What positive comments do people say about your strengths? What are your greatest achievements?
- Developments: What skills do I need to work on? Where do you need to improve? What holds you back? What key habits do you want to overcome? What do others say about your development areas?
- Opportunities: If I invest my time in my technical skills, I will land a good job. Who can help me achieve my goals? What can I do differently to other people that makes me more employable? How can I go the extra mile? How can I make opportunities happen for myself?
- Threats: What could stop me from achieving my career goals? What do I need to stop doing now? What's out of my control that I can’t change?
Join our Applied Digital Skills class - Communication course
- 1.Go to g.co/AppliedDigitalSkills
- 2.Click "Sign in" in the top right
- 3.Sign in with your Google account, or create a new one
- 4.Click "I am a student"
- 5.Click "Join a class" and enter class code: qchyyg